Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Go Local & Relevant To Go Big

So I've been wondering a lot lately about the print business. I used to do a lot of buying in print (on the client side) and so have been watching with great interest the shift in eyeballs over the last few years. Now, I'm no expert, let me get that clear, but I've always had a soft spot for print, in any form. Why? for me it's been the emotional connection of senses, touching, feeling, smelling the information. Tough to replicate on a computing device...yet.

Most interesting to me has been the failure of many, and the success of a few and upstart of others. All of it feeds into my theory of having to local to go big.

When things get tough, people nest. It's like a genetic predisposition that can't be stopped. When in trouble, people slow down and reach out for metaphorical hugs. That means that interest in things outside of people's sphere of influence or engagement become less critical, less time sensitive.

On a personal basis, that means more focus on local news, interests and activities - like what to do with the kids this weekend - or general interest/hobbies etc. Less on global events or general information.

To me, this explains the relative stability of targeted publications, whether business or local news, and the instability of publications that have a broader editorial content. It also explains the growth in targeted and local publications, like the recent launches of Nassau Parent and Suffolk Parent or the general success of focused publications like Fortune or the Business Journal network.

I think publishers need to further investigate this nesting trend and become more relevant to their consumers by providing information and content on things that impact us on local or targeted basis. Do this in print, but also do this digitally. I'd be very willing to spend a few $$ a month on content delivered from my local newspaper on local things to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment